Internet Privacy is among the hottest topic of conversation since last year. Even though websites have become much secure, hackers on the other hand have become equally smart. In the year 2005 nearly 1.6 million incidents of identity thefts were reported and in the year 2012, this count reached to 16.6 million. Irrespective of whether there is significant loss or not, identity thefts could result in extremely poor credit requiring opening brand new accounts in addition to undue stress. If private information of yours reaches government or corporation hands, it can cost you heavily. In order to keep a control on online privacy there have been several internet privacy tools made available that can offer large amount of protection. Moreover, there are several privacy software that offer high level of protection to your system. Let us see some other effective ways of protecting online privacy of yours.
- Keep changing your passwords often. The first and foremost mistake that users do is keeping an easy password. It has been seen that out of 10 users, 4 will have pretty common password. This makes approximately three-fourth of all internet users highly vulnerable to cyber attacks. At first users should check how strong their passwords are. Cybercriminals and hackers have all kinds of password breaking tools and they make use of all kinds of methods and techniques for cracking your password. Hence it is suggested to keep password that contains four to six random words that could be combination of numbers, acronyms, phrases, capital letters, small letters, and special characters. This should be done for all important account passwords like email account, e-commerce account, bank account, social networking site accounts, and so on. Moreover, make sure that your browser isn’t saving your password. For this you can make some changes in your browser settings. Entering each time when logging in to some account could be tiresome or irritating but it is worth it as it would save you from various kinds of internet crimes.
- Enable 2-step authentication. It is quite simple and should be among the first things that one must do post changing their passwords. In this method, there is 2nd step created to log-in to your different accounts online. Rather than just inputting password, you’ll be asked unique code that will be texted to the phone number that is registered. This is second protection layer that your password must be comprised of. Websites using 2-step authentication include PayPal, Evernote, Dropbox, Google Accounts like YouTube, Gmail, etc., Microsoft accounts, LastPass, and so on. At times it could seem as a hassle but it is a way to restrict incorrect users from accessing others account as well as users to access account when using some new device.
- Be very cautious when using public WiFi. Nowadays several public spots are there where you can access free of cost internet but prior to accessing them you need to be quiet careful. Obviously it is highly convenient when one is travelling but it makes their private information easily vulnerable to hackers. Hackers make use of these conventionally unsecured networks for gaining access to baking information, password, and other private information of users. This is known as man in the middle attack. Prior to using these free wifi networks it is good to ensure that you are connecting to authenticated network that has been set-up from genuine provider. Often hackers set-up their fake networks having quiet similar names as that of original network so that if users by mistake login to their fake network, they can access all information that they want from user’s system. Another tip is never to carryout sensitive transaction from public wifi especially when it is related to social media sites, emails, e-commerce, and banking.
- Hide IP address so that you can surf internet anonymously. Internet Protocol (IP) address is unique address of your system on the internet. This includes four numbers that are divided by dots. The numbers indicate subnetwork, domain, host computer, and network. By hiding IP address you are ensuring that personal data of yours is not getting leaked out online. There are several tools available if you want to hide IP address. When you surf internet anonymously you are protecting your internet privacy. Nothing illegal is there when it comes to hiding IP address. There are IP changer software also available online that will change IP address of your system when you browse the internet. When you hide IP address of your system, you are protecting it from spyware as well. Spyware is software that monitors all activities of user. IP address hiding also helps you to save yourself from constant pop-up advertisement bombardment.
- Make use of web proxy chaining. Web proxy chain is useful for several scenarios. In big organizations, one can route proxy chain traffic from internal computers to servers upstream for protecting sections of network or edge of organization. Here, as client makes request for downstream server, downstream server would attempt to server that is requesting object from cache. In case it can’t, request would be redirected as per web chaining rules that are pre-defined.
- Delete entire internet history from all browsers once you are done with internet usage. Here, first step would be deleting previous Google history as well as restrict them from tracking future searches. If you are logged in to any of your accounts in browsers, disconnect the account once you are done with your work. Post this you should clear up your browsing history. Make sure that you have set pop-up blocker off so that websites that aren’t legal can’t send you ads. This will also save you from viewing useless ads that keep popping-up on your system simply annoying you. Internet is pretty vast and there are several ways by which cybercriminal can gain access to your confidential information. It depends on users how they avoid them.